Sunday 16 January 2011

heading south

Well, it's been a relaxing couple of weeks or so in Auckland. and it's been damn hot! but relaxing and lush as expected. We went up north to Goat Island last week which was super mellow. A lot of time spent reading around the campsite, which had beautiful views, as well as snorkelling in the lovely clear water (and using my bro's underwater camera which was pretty neat).

Tomorrow I am off to the South Island to hook up with my other brother and then old Neilski for some tramping. Getting excited for that and for seeing the stars down there. The stars seem clear in Auckland (for a city) and up north they were pretty damn clear, but down south it will be ridiculous!

Anyway, here's some photos and cheers for the comments and good wishes.x

a Monarch in Auckland

wow, they have street lamps in New Zealand?!...hmm. yes...Auckland

view from the campsite at Goat Island 

Goat Island beach in an arty mood at dawn

as above, but the other direction...

a friend came to visit while camping...

getting all arty again at the beach

Goat Island itself and the lovely clear water. It is a marine reserve and as well as various unknown fish, I saw a Ray while snorkling, which I thought was pretty cool.

taken by my bro, but I think it is great...

using the underwater camera...

and again...never used one before, but it was tricky, cos I couldn't look through the viewfinder, so I'd have to point and hope (no change there then!). These three are about as good as it got...

This was the biggest Snapper I saw. It was about two foot from the shore in about a foot of water and kept circling me. The size isn't so apparant here, but it was about 12 metres lon....ok a foot and a bit long.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice it looks and sounds, paradise - like, unlike here at the minute. I watched all the LOTR DVDs the other day as a surgery recovery strategy. New Zealand is the star! As someone commented. Enjoy! Like you aren't doing... Regards from Jez

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pic ur brother took. Goat Island looks great too. If I get scared of Jane I might flee there....

    ReplyDelete