Saturday 12 February 2011

a random night in Lyttleton

Right then, last night (well last night while I'm writing this) was one strange mashup. Neil got off and I lay about reading in the Botanical Gardens for ages, before heading home to prepare for a night out....I'd been looking for interesting gigs to see and the only one I could find was about 10km away in a small town called Lyttleton.

Problem was, the last bus back was at 1045 and the gig was never going to be over by then. No probs, I'll walk. Except, as the only road passes through some hills (only 400m ish) in a long tunnel, there was no pedestrian access. Over the hills it is then.

So I arrived at the advertised time, which turned out to be 2 hours early, so went for a wander and a pint, before heading down for 10pm (as I'd be advised by the guys setting up the gig). Still no sound, but I get chatting with some locals and they invite me to join them for a drink until the gig started. These guys were sound down to earth local hoon/bassheads and the evening descended into an oblivion of drink and smoke. We went to check out the gig, but it seemed a bit headache inducing and seeing as we'd been talking dub all night, we headed back to Jessie's gaff for some music/smoke....he has a label producing some dubstep/jungle/reggae sounds and some of what I heard were well fat!! I just wished I had my memory stick with me to pilfer the tunes.

Anyway, his label is Dub Pride Recordings (releasing stuff from all over, including some great Russian producer), so for all you bassheads, check it...

http://www.dubpriderecordings.com/

The thing I liked about it was that they were total underground and had the same vibe as my sheff music buddies, albeit with them hitting the dub angle and us more the metal/rock thing. Still dark, non commercial and the two jungle tunes he played....no idea who they were by and I'll check them out when I'm home, but I was bouncing!!

So, rant rave...oh yeah, then I walked home from there. A bit rainy, but all good fun. left at 03.30, collapsed in bed at 0630 this morn. good cultural night!!

Tomorrow I head south, probably to Timaru on my way to Dunedin. Till then kids...x

welcome to Lyttleton!

a dress


a wobbly night


discarded handbag and bloody rag. welcome to Lyttleton

again, this sums things up quite well

No comments:

Post a Comment