Monday 14 March 2011

Volcano #1: Mt Ruapehu (2797m)

Well, the plan to spend my last days relaxing is coming into fruition in Auckland and is great...however, it was somewhat different than expected... the plan, as I think mentioned previously, was to go to Turangi for 3 or 4 days to chill out prior to Auckland. Well, I was only there for 2 days and the time I was going to spend sitting on my ass was spent climbing two volcanoes...a bit different!

In the Tongoriro National Park, there are 3 volcanoes, Tongoriro is the most beautiful they say (with emerald lakes) and also the smallest. Ngauruhoe is the second as was Mt Doom in Lord of the Rings, and Mt Ruapehu is the biggest. I'd previously done the Tongoriro crossing, with involves walking near, or up Tongoriro and Ngauruhoe, depending on inclination. When I did the crossing 4 years ago, the weather was awful (though the walk was still excellent), so I thought I'd try to do it in good weather. Instead, after talking to some people at the hostel, I went for the big one.

This involved hitching 50 km down the road, but unfortunately due to the 'end of the road' -ness of the track start, I only got within 8 km of it, so had to walk most of that, before someone stopped to give me a lift for maybe 3 mins right at the end, which I was pleased for.

When asking about the walk, I was told that there is no path, and to follow the chair lifts...so I did. 3 hours up going at quite a pace over, firstly, big football size etc rocks, then more, then bigger, then scree/scoria slopes which were very very slippy, then eventually a ridge to the safest place highest (ie dangerous and possibly crampons/ice axes needed further along). And all the way back down....it was harder than Dusky on my knees! Fortunately I got a lift all the way from the bottom of the mountain to the hostel, so that was good....I was wondering if I'd get a lift at all due to the isolated location!

The weather started out glorious, then clouded over as I climbed higher, at points not seeing much further than 20 metres. This lead to a brief bit of getting lost (and slightly worried!) on the way down, but the clouds cleared for the crater lake/summit and it was all stunning....


as for the photos....

Mount Ruapehu - my objective
after about 8km walking up the road, it's slightly closer
and more...
no path...follow the chairlifts
where I came from
looking back
the terrain higher
then the clouds started to come
grim, steep, slippery and volcanic
the final ridge to the shelter
view from the ridge
and again...pretty steep
the crater lake...this last erupted spectacularly in 95/96, but also smaller instances in 06/07
the other side of the ridge from the lake

No comments:

Post a Comment